In these eight piercing explorations on beauty, media, money, and more, Tressie McMillan Cottom—award-winning professor and acclaimed author of Lower Ed—embraces her venerated role as a purveyor of wit, wisdom, and Black Twitter snark about all that is right and much that is wrong with this thing we call society.
Ideas and identity fuse effortlessly in this vibrant collection that on bookshelves is just as at home alongside Rebecca Solnit and bell hooks as it is beside Jeff Chang and Janet Mock. It also fills an important void on those very shelves: a modern black American feminist voice waxing poetic on self and society, serving up a healthy portion of clever prose and southern aphorisms as she covers everything from Saturday Night Live, LinkedIn, and BBQ Becky to sexual violence, infant mortality, and Trump rallies. Thick speaks fearlessly to a range of topics and is far more genre-bending than a typical compendium of personal essays.
An intrepid intellectual force hailed by the likes of Trevor Noah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, and Oprah, Tressie McMillan Cottom is “among America’s most bracing thinkers on race, gender, and capitalism of our time” (Rebecca Traister). This stunning debut collection—in all its intersectional glory—mines for meaning in places many of us miss, and reveals precisely how the political, the social, and the personal are almost always one and the same.
*Excerpt via Amazon review*
Layin It On THICK:
1. What moments did this book resonate for you?
2. Share a favorite quote from the book. Why did this quote stand out?
3. What feelings did this book evoke for you?
4. If you could create the dopest playlist for this book, what songs would you choose?
5. What do you think of the book’s title? How does it relate to the book’s contents? What other title might you choose?
6. Would you want to read more from this author?
Welcome to Reading Between The Wines Book Club!
Come join me this fall as we jump into fun reads selected by some of you! Feel free to comment, follow along and share with friends! Happy reading!