Newlyweds Celestial and Roy are the embodiment of both the American Dream and the New South. He is a young executive, and she is an artist on the brink of an exciting career. But as they settle into the routine of their life together, they are ripped apart by circumstances neither could have imagined. Roy is arrested and sentenced to twelve years for a crime Celestial knows he didn’t commit. Though fiercely independent, Celestial finds herself bereft and unmoored, taking comfort in Andre, her childhood friend, and best man at their wedding. As Roy’s time in prison passes, she is unable to hold on to the love that has been her center. After five years, Roy’s conviction is suddenly overturned, and he returns to Atlanta ready to resume their life together.
This stirring love story is a profoundly insightful look into the hearts and minds of three people who are at once bound and separated by forces beyond their control. An American Marriage is a masterpiece of storytelling, an intimate look deep into the souls of people who must reckon with the past while moving forward—with hope and pain—into the future.
*Excerpt via Amazon review*
An American Marriage Book Club Questions...
1. Why is the title, An American Marriage, significant to the story? What does the title mean to you?
2. How do you believe race and class tie into the book? Why do you think Jones chose not to identify the race of the woman who accused Roy?
3. At what point did Celestial and Roy's marriage begin to fall apart? Do you think they would have stayed together if Roy hadn't gone to prison?
4. How do you think the story would have been different if Roy had been accused, but not convicted?
5. As a reader, which character did you identify with the most? Why?
6. How did you feel about the ending? Did you think that Celestial made the right decision?
7. After reading this novel, would you continue to find love within your relationship when your partner has gone to prison?
Welcome to Reading Between The Wines Book Club!
Come join me this fall as we jump into fun reads selected by some of you! Feel free to comment, follow along and share with friends! Happy reading!