Get Yo Life, Be a Badass: A Book Review
Hi guys! Cheers to making it to yet another Wednesday! YOU DID DAT sis! *clink clink* and welcome to K's Get YO Life, Be a Badass (BITCHHHH) book review! I wanted to share with you one of my favorite reads that I have picked up thus far! I am not a huge fan of self-help books because usually they all start sounding the same, well at least to me. Although I typically feel this way about many books of this style, this book right here was TOTALLY different. I have been raving about this book to anyone that'll listen (and YOU BETTER LISTEN! haha) since I finished reading it, and it was also this month's book club selection! (Join now!) I came across this book randomly on snapchat by one of my friends, and first of all, the title itself snatched my edges IMMEDIATELY! I am one for a good title! I know they say "Don't judge a book by its cover", but honeyyyyyyyy I'm judging, because I got my entire life, the next life, and then some! I don't know what it is, but this book gave me AMAZING ideas and motivation to kick it into high gear, get my life on track and to not be afraid to engage in challenging goals! I felt like Jen read me for filth throughout this entire novel, and I loved it. So boom! Here's the tea:
Behind the Badass:
"Jen Sincero is a #1 New York Times bestselling author, success coach and motivational cattle prod who’s helped countless people transform their personal and professional lives via her products, speaking engagements, newsletters, seminars and books. Her #1 New York Times bestseller, You Are a Badass®: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life (2013), has sold well over two million copies, is available in twenty-plus languages, and continues to grow in popularity around the globe. Her follow-up, You Are a Badass® at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth (2017), also a New York Times bestseller, is written with the same inimitable sass, down-to-earth humor and blunt practicality that made You Are a Badass® an indomitable bestseller and Jen a celebrated voice in the world of self development." Basically, in a nutshell, she's A BAD BITCH. k?
Caution: Snatched Edges!
Have you ever felt like, wait is this all I can do? Is this it? Have I reached my ultimate greatness? Well, after reading this book, I can personally say, HELL NO SIS! GO INTO THE LIGHT CAROL ANNE! You still have major ass to kick! In this refreshingly entertaining how-to guide, Jen Sincero highlights in her 27 bitesized chapters, hilariously inspiring stories, sage advice, easy yet thought-provoking exercises, and the occasional around the way girl attitude, connecting with her readers on how to: Identify and change the self-sabotaging beliefs and behaviors that can stop you from getting what you want, Create a life you totally love. And create it NOW, Make some damn money already. The kind you've never made before. (I'm HERE for that!) By the end of You Are a Badass, I finally understood why I am the way I am, how to love what I can't change, how to change what I don't love, and how to use "The Force" to kick some serious ass!
To Be a Badass, You Must First...
1. Appreciate how special you are: SISSSS let's face it! There will never be another exactly like you, so love yourself! You deserve it, you're a queen/king, and no one can take that away from you! You have created your own unique path, and self-love looks good on you! Accept it, appreciate it, love it, and confirm it! You're a big deal!
2. Create daily affirmations: Affirmations are key! If you don't believe it, you won't achieve it! No, you don't have to write them all over your mirrors or get a special notebook for them, but if that works, go for it! Figure out which affirmations you need to hear the most whether it's subjected around beauty, finances, career, and create that space to rewire your brain. Repeat these affirmations all day long in your head, in the car, while you're walking down the street pretending to be on the phone, whatever! Write them on post-it notes, chalkboards, dry erase boards, etc. Write down your favorite affirmations ten times every morning and ten times every night before you go to bed and say them out loud. For example, when I was studying for my North Carolina Board of Nursing licensure, I wrote down my full name with RN behind it all over my apartment to encourage me to continue studying and that I would pass on the first time. Long story short, affirmations work! I am now a registered nurse and have been for over a year and a half at Duke University Hospital. Believe in yourself. Believe in your goals. Believe in your journey.
3. Do your best where you are: Remember, no one wakes up rich. No one wakes up successful. Take Cardi B for example. No one knew anything about her until she made her debut on Love & Hip Hop: New York as the feisty Bronx firecracker with memorable shade lines that slayed your entire life. How can you forget her B A N G I N G anthem Bodak Yellow that took the world by storm, and had me patting my weave?! And NOWWWWW, she's sort of a big deal! Tyler Perry slept in his car while writing his hit plays featuring Madea. Oprah was fired from her first TV job in Baltimore. Yepppp Oprah got the pink slip too! Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team. THE Michael Jordan you say? Y E P. Basically, what I'm saying is, kick ass where you are in your life right now. See each milestone as a stepping stone to the next goal, the next big thing. No matter where your first step lands you, if you want to keep moving forward, appreciate where you are! "Everything you do along your journey contributes to where you're going."
4. Remember: Your Brain Is Your Bitch: Our thoughts are the most powerful tools that we have. As Jen Sincero says, "It's through our thoughts that we create our realities." Basically, as my sweetie would say, your thoughts manifest. If you want to change your reality, you have to change your thinking. If you want to be a millionaire, you must have a millionaire's mentality. I can guarantee you that a millionaire isn't just sitting on the couch letting life pass them by. I always say, if Oprah is still creating, so can I! One takeaway that I loved from this book was that you must change your thinking first, and then the evidence appears. Our big mistake is that we do it the other way around. We demand to see the evidence before we believe it to be true. As Jen would say, remember, everything you need is right here, right now. You just have to shift your perception in order to see it manifest. P R E A C H.
5. Upgrade your environment: Upgrade as far as the people you associate with, your surroundings, your lifestyle, your EATING habits (I know I tapped a nerve on that one) and more! Surround yourself with people who are achieving their goals and are supporting your goals. You know the old saying, "You are who you hang around." Well, hate to say it, but it's true! So make sure that the people that you are accompanying are the same ones that are supporting you and your future endeavors. If you are thinking and imagining the change before it happens, do what you can to make some upgrades to where you want to be. If you are applying to a new job, dress for the job that you want, not the job you have. Get new furniture. Meet new people. Read new books from authors that you wouldn't normally read. Step out of your comfort zone! Don't just say you're going to make the necessary changes, do it! Show the world and The Universe that you're serious and you're not here to play games with your goals and your future. De-clutter your life S I S.
"In Order to Kick Ass, You Must First Lift Up Your Foot"-Jen Sincero
More From Jen Sincero...
Welcome to the launch of my new book blog! Thank you all soooo much for reading and I can't wait to hear your thoughts, ideas and comments! Enjoy! :)